Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Twenty Questions


Svengraph - CC attib

 When and how did you discover Second Life? 

I learned about Second life in 2006 when some friends joined. I didn't venture over then but eventually made an account a year or so later. They were having a great time, so I figured I would give it a shot. 

    Did you know about virtual worlds before or was this your first experience with them?


First experience for me.

    Has Second Life met your expectations? 


 Since I had no expectations, it has exceeded them :D

    If you could teleport back to the first ten minutes of your avatar’s slife, what would you tell yourself?
Don't make your arms so long! While you can indeed reach things on the top shelf, those lengthy appendages are a bear with poses.

    How long did it take you to master avatar flying and driving vehicles inworld?

I flew easily from the beginning. I still cannot drive well. Boats seem to be better probably because they are slower.

    Do you have a mystery alt? 

Lani is the only alt I have made, as part a blogger challenge from Gogo long ago.

   Is your SL avatar a reflection of you, or someone you wished you could be? 

No, she is simply a modified Elliot shape from my first day.

   Is there an individual you met in SL that inspired you in your RL? How? 

None that come to mind.

    Do you feel it is easier to create stronger bonds/relationships with people you meet inworld as opposed to the real world? 

No

   Did you ever imagine or believe people could fall in love with someone they never met before Second Life?   

Yes, before virtual worlds we still had forums and email and phones. Whether that is "real love" I am not sure; certainly it can be fascination.

    How has your perspective of dating changed (or not) since you started playing second life?

It hasn't changed. 

    How has your perspective of employment changed (or not) since you started playing second life? 

That hasn't changed either :D. I have always believed that doing what you love to do because you love to do it is key -- in either world.

    Name three things in both your lives that overlap each other significantly. 

Creativity - Communication - Money

    If you could live your life more immersively in a virtual world, would you? (Kind of like the Matrix) 

Not really sure on that. I went to view the keynote address as well as other talks from the Virtual Reality Conference last week. High Fidelity, Phil's new child, wants to evoke more of a feeling of reality. Right now, however, there is so much gear involved in getting there (movement sensors etc.) that  it seem like it would be LESS immerse.

Interestingly enough that is a theme of a film I have in preproduction. Will it ever make it to the screen? Not sure. It is still roaming around in my head.

    How do you think behavior changes for people if they’re inworld vs in real world? Why do you think that is?

Some folks feel they can do anything because of the annonimity. This leads to some hateful and hurtful words. Happily that isn't typically part of my experience.

    How has second life consumerism changed your perception of spending habits, the value of money, the need to be “bleeding edge” with fashion?  

It hasn't. I am very much anti-consumerism in real life. Most folks have way more than they need or can use. Greed rules the world in many senses and in many places.

Long ago in my younger days the typist was more of a fashionista than now, but even then it was more about "style" than following the dictates of Vogue or Mademoiselle etc.

That being said, if a person can take their "coffee money" (personally I think buying coffee on a daily basis is a waste, but you get the idea) and turn that into lindens, shopping virtually and reaping the ego rewards -- then to me that is a better plan.

    Do you think virtual worlds like SL drive and redefine human interaction or do they narrow and limit it? 

Both.

    If technology progressed tomorrow to allow you to send emotions to people the way you’d send text or voice messages, would it enrich your SL experience or infringe on it?   


We don't need technology for that *wink*.

    Name three skills you attribute to having learned or honed in second life alone.

Photography - Design - Blender

    If your grand kids googled your Second Life Avatar’s name, would they be intrigued, disgusted, proud or something else? 

I think they would be proud of all that Chic has accomplished in the various areas of her virtual life.  They might also be a bit puzzled. Not everyone "get's it". We know that.

Comments

Interesting that you would advise yourself to make your arms shorter, I just recently made mine full length since I felt they were too short. But I have noticed that since I did that, finding fitting poses can be a pain, so you are definitely right in that regard. Also, I wonder if anyone can really drive well in SL, seems like most people have difficult with it. Makes me want to practice it more now.

Popular Posts