Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

PBR Viewer Update

PBR materials versus Tiling textures with normal and specular

For those of you waiting impatiently (or cringing in the corner) for PBR to become prime time -- the word from Firestorm  viewer PBR testers is that Frames Per Second are MUCH better than in the Linden viewer.   

I had to smile a little bit since it "seems" like The Lab is taking advantage of the 3rd Party developers in order to enhance their product.  That's not a bad thing really businesswise. AND they did share their code long ago and do still share THEIR improvements -- or maybe I should say changes as not everyone agrees what an improvement is. 

Meanwhile that AO issue with the latest Firestorm viewer does NOT appear to be fixed (for me anyway). I have tried several things and using an AO attachment of course works on some level.   So I may try the Firestorm alpha sometime soon and see if that is better. Honestly though I think it is smart to use the viewer that most folks are still using --- so  I will most likely just deal with the current bugs. 

Modern Industrial Set (huge) WIP  NOT PBR :D


On a personal level I have been building again. 

Before the New Year began a notecard from an event creator made the rounds. It was fairly insulting to the folks in the group and probably not the best move for the event owner's bottom line, but ....

They mentioned that creators should stop putting out same ol same ol stuff each event, joining in a ton of events and in general just putting stuff out there to keep their name in front of the public.  While I haven't been in events for several years (Shop and Hop and some charity events only) I DO agree with that idea.  There are still some great things being made but they are much more rare these days.  That and the somewhat now boring weekend sales have pretty much stalled the creative market. 

I gave away over 16,000 items  this last December and I ENJOYED the process too.  That may be my last Advent though.  I received three thank you IMs from all that work and while that is the norm these days it does bother me.  

So I am working harder and honing my skills a bit more and we will see what the future brings.   So far it is looking bright. 


Comments

Popular Posts