Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Federal Trade Commission and Bloggers

Fashion bloggers have often discussed among themselves and on their blogs the necessity for disclosure of review copies and gifts. A friend sent me this article tonight. It will likely be of interest to some of you. Hence, I am passing it along.

The Federal Trade Commission on Monday took steps to make product information and online reviews more accurate for consumers, regulating blogging for the first time and mandating that testimonials reflect typical results.






The above quote is from this article at the Huffington Post.

Personally, I can't think of any instance when the lack of money expended on a product has influenced my reviews or comments. Some items are featured, some are not -- whether review copies, gifts, hunt items or freebies for all. As a reader I am sure I would find myself terrifically bored reading disclaimers about each product that came to be featured without a monetary outlay.

Those that have traditionally refused review copies won't need to make any changes; others may decide to. I can't imagine that blogging virtual goods will be high on any FTC official's priority list, but the article is an interesting one nevertheless.

Comments

Popular Posts