Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

PBR Don't Panic



If you venture over to the birthday bash in a NON PBR viewer things (baring the stone keep and a few other builds) look pretty awful --- like 2009 kinda awful.   And lots of folks seem both surprised and confused over the changes in the new Firestorm viewer. Well they obviously were NOT paying attention for the last seven months or so (sigh). 

BUT the bottom line is that there is no reason to panic. Most of your inventory items will looks fine still. You do not need to go out and buy all new PBR houses and furniture and clothing  etc. 

There will likely be a time not too long off when creators will stop putting legacy textures on their items or making legacy options.  Honestly  the BEST creators will still do that because there is a fairly large group of folks whose computes cannot handle PBR.   

Still I wanted to give you an idea how thing aren't ALL that different (depending on where you are of course).  

The top screenshot is unedited and of my store under the SHARED lighting that I set  in the NON PBR Firestorm viewer. 


And this is the same location with the current Linden viewer. They look very much the same. In this case (not all cases for me) I think the PBR viewer version looks a bit better. Remember THERE ARE NO PBR TEXTURES USED HERE. This is the very same place at the same time. 

So while the world IS changing --- it is changing slowly.    

One other note that I want to make as I read all the forum posts with folks and "melting computers" :D -- when I went over to Sansar in the second wave of creators it took forever to load a site (well almost but I clocked one at half an hour).  The devs kept working and in a few months that site from hell was equal to my  second fastest loading on the platform. SO it is possible that by the time we are ALL on PBR that PBR will be more friendly to our hardware.  Fingers crossed. 
 

Comments

Popular Posts