Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Arcade Changes


Friday afternoon:  Please see the comment made about the hud --- under "comments" of course :D

I am not sure if you have ventured over this month but there have been some major changes at The Arcade.  One is the carousel in the middle of the event area. But wait a sec, let's back up a bit.

I am not in any Arcade group so I can't speak to the actual timeline, but somewhere after December there were changed announced on the website that the event times would be changed to half a month in January and half a month in February.  The regular quarterly months seemed to be going away -- marked in red while the new ending and beginning of months were in green.   

I thought this was a very bad plan after what seems like a decade of quarterly events.   Whether or not the events happened on those new months I do not know. Seraphim has no listings for January or February so I am thinking not.  

With the quarterly date crossed out in my mind I missed the now on the schedule again opening of March 1 but got over there on the third.  I am only acquainted with  a handful of creators at The Arcade these days and I am not an investigated reporter (well not often) so I don't really know the story.   From the outside looking in it appears that the new half month dates didn't go over well. I am assuming that the time and event costs didn't compute well on the creator side of the ledger but I don't KNOW that. 

The even more amazing news is that the hud has changed.  NOW everyone gets the SAME nud each day.  Thinking about this for different viewpoints I don't see how this is good for anyone except perhaps a handful of creators that make big sets and sell them as a fatpack as well as a "gacha" item. 

For the casual player who is mostly in it for fun not being able to send in the alts to see if "anyone" wins what you are after pretty much takes away the suspense. If you are a "gacha" reseller  any rares you garner -- unless you were willing to buy a lot of items on the way to rare --- are not all tht rare since EVERYONE that day will have the opportunity to buy the item for 50 to 100 lindens.  

Does it cut down the traffic? Certainly, but is that a "good" thing?

While The Arcade hasn't been as exciting since the gacha ban, it was still fun.  Not much any longer.  

Just some thoughts and a pretty filler picture :D



**************************************

This addition was only up incorrectly for about four minutes before I decided to test. 
TODAY the HUDs have gone back to being different for different people.  

SOOOOOOO   -- some of the info below is incorrect :D
SO GLAD I TESTED.

At least now you know the "backstory". 



And HERE is the surprise of the day.  JUST as this was about to post "Arty" checked the Arcade and this cute little fantasy house was second from the bottom. So for 150 lindens it can be yours.  It is very nicely made with amazing LODs and nice textures. One single room inside with dark wood ceilings and plain stucco walls.  It is 184 land impact (I am guessing because of the good LODs) and appears to have correct physics (I didn't check all that closely).  

So serendipity strikes again.   

Comments

Anonymous said…
There were changes to LSL (scripting) that led to The Arcade's HUD being borked. It took them a few days to get it fixed.

Popular Posts