Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Color and Style


This is my op ed piece on the Boho Culture Fair. The venue is indeed fun with lots of color and a build that is very reminiscent of the 70s and 80s (yes, I was there). Being in this blogger group was a real treat, one that came my way through a backdoor which shall not be mentioned but that I do appreciate. I think most every content creator in the fair sent out exclusive release packs and sometimes the freebie.

Two things were obvious to me. There were a ton of bloggers that didn't seem to be blogging -- now how can that be?  And, there were a LOT of mesh items made on the same templates.

I went on record long ago back in the sculpty days about creativity. I believed -- and still do in some respects -- that those that build from scratch should be on a higher pedestal so to speak.  It is tough learning a new skill and those that make the effort to do so deserve some extra gold stars.

Much of the Boho Fair is mesh. Most of the items are made upon the same mesh templates. It doesn't take you too long to figure that out. Some are great, some not so much. Happily buyers of mesh have the ability to try before they buy so the fitting issues and any other concerns are addressed before purchase. This is a plus.

I still very much support the designers that make their own sculpts, mesh and indeed -- hand drawn textures. In the end the world is what the world is and wannabe designers have the ability and the opportunity to do their thing with textures and color to make designs there own.

I am not reneging on my position. I am simply facing reality.

This dress from BoHo HoBo (what a cute name) is an example of creating something new out of something old. In the real world of old (hardly anyone sews these days) we had a finite number of patterns. Seamstresses took those, chose their fabrics and added their details to make a garment their own. Sometimes it worked; sometimes it didn't.  Whatever the case, the designers of today are exploring their own creativity and enjoying the process; at least that is my wish for them.


Face front and show us your style!

This is Vanity Hair's new Ronette in Bordeaux. Not an everyday hair for me but I do love it for its salute to earlier times. Trust me, we actually ratted our hair this big. And it was never smooth in the back like this beauty.

I also love this "enclose me" zippered eye tattoo and prim from AD Creations. It comes with a double version (both eyes) also. Let the creativity reign. Updated: this is a group gift. See notices.


Poses by: Diesel Works

Comments

AlizaKaru said…
love, ty as always!

and ty, i appreciate what you say, i design my clothes alone, maybe they are not perfect, but im not a RL 3d designer :p and I'm so happy! I love to do in SL that i cannot do in RL :)

<3
19Well-written post, although I do wish you would include a link to your store as well.
Chic Aeon said…
My current store has nothing to do with fashion, hence seldom mentioned. It is ChiC buildings at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Demondrille/141/19/3630 I have had other stores in the past including jewelry, but this post has very little to do with what I build. I am currently over at LEA20 with the Machinima Open Studio Project which again, has nothing to do with fashion :D. If you actually wanted a link to BoHo HoBo, this garment is only available at the Boho Culture Fair. Didn't want folks to get confused. I am betting you can find the store easily in search.

Popular Posts