Bringing you the best of Second Life since 2008.

Two Steps Forward - One Step Back



I had to smile this afternoon when I discoverer (or at least realized) that I was once again shadowless. So much for good intentions and high profile computers *wink*. I did my homework, asked a lot of questions and still find that pristine shadows will not be part of my bag of tricks in the near future. It seems that I have purchased a computer that is "too good" (oh my). It never even entered my mind.

I can have lovely clear pictures. I can have shadows that come with ragged edges to objects. I do not seem to be able to have both clean edges and cast shadows. While I have an experiment planned for the morrow, I did want to document the possible issue for those of you that may be getting a new computer or will NEED to get one unexpectedly (it happens; we know).  My new, I really do love it, computer is Windows 7 - 64 bit. And that appears to be the issue. I have compared notes with a few folks running the same system and we have identical problems -- at least in Kirsten's viewer. It is an either / or type of thing which seems to be linked to that 64 bit part of the equation. I noted that the official Labs viewer says that it is ONLY for 32 bit applications, and since the alternate viewers are using their base code ----- Hmmm.

So perhaps the world will catch up to me in a few months. I hope so.  Meanwhile I have great speed and fluidity and I am a pretty happy gal -- even sans shadows. There are some issues on the older viewers also. Imprudence will no longer load my integrated AO -- so I now, for the first time in over a year, have a AO interface as a hud (oh my!).

That's the techie news of the evening. The FASHION news is this cute white kimono from Sassy Kitty Designs which is available at Project Fur. It has a very nice bow in the back and comes in many layers.


Here is a little addendum. I have spent well over ten minutes trying to send a message to the designer featured in this post. LL is making it more difficult all the time. Now search (as of this eve it seems) no longer let's you look for "people"? It is built into the destinations tab. I have ALWAYS sent notes to people featured on this blog. That may not be happening in the future. Don't blame me -- blame them!

And with that -- have a good eve :D.


Style Notes: 

Hair: Magika Geisha - blonde (old)
Skin: [:T:] Zoe / sunkissed :: 06 Brass
Clothing: [Sassy Kitty Designs] Sassy Kimono (new release)

Accessories: Hand Fan Gold Autumn - RH - Jocko Domo

Poses by:Amacci and the fans

Comments

Been having to use the "people" tag lately in Search, as the everything goes one no longer finds ppl..... :(
I have Vista 64 bit - shadows sometimes work, sometimes don't... apparently random... but havent tried since I got new card
Lau
Renate Vogel said…
I don't know much about computers, but, I bought a new one just 3 weeks ago, running on Windows 7 - 64 bit, and Kirstens shadows work perfectly on it. The only time when it didn't work, was when I turned the graphic settings up more, in the NVIDIA config. Maybe you could try reset those to the basic settings? Just a thought...
sletoile said…
We can start a 'purists' movement -- the No Shadows Faction. Kidnap a banker or two,hold a Ronald McDonald for ransom in Finland, and we'll be in business.
Chic Aeon said…
Thanks for the input and smiles guys. I "do" have shadows in Kirsten's S21, but I have to give up quality of the rest of the photo for it. Did more experimenting last night with mixed results. I went with a top ATI card and while it works very well with some things, not so good with viewers it seems.

I just checked back at the forums and got some info from Kirsten so will make a new blog post on what is known *wink* and what is a mystery.

And I love the "purist" movement idea!!!!!!

Change. We cope.

Popular Posts